Research – Publications, Presentations, and Posters.
- Collins, A., & Leier, B. (2017). Can medical assistance in dying harm rural and remote palliative care in Canada? Canadian Family Physician, 63(3), 186–90.
- Perri, G.-A., Bunn, S., Oh, Y.J., Kassam, A., Berall, A., Karuza, J., & Khosravani, H. (2016). Attributes and outcomes of end stage liver disease as compared with other noncancer patients admitted to a geriatric palliative care unit. Annals of Palliative Medicine, 5(2), 76-82.
- Pearce, J., & Ridley, J. (2016). Communication in life-limiting illness: A practical guide for physicians. British Columbia Medical Journal, 58(5), 262-7.
- Peixoto, R.D., & Hawley, P. (2015). Intravenous lidocaine for cancer pain without electrocardiographic monitoring: A retrospective review. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 18(4), 373-7. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2014.0279
- Sinuff, T., Dodek, P., You, J.J., Barwich, D., Tayler, C., Downar, J., Hartwick, . . . Heyland, D.K. (2015). Improving end-of-life communication and decision making: The development of a conceptual framework and quality indicators. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 49(6), 1070-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2014.12.007
- Teixeira, A.A., Hanvey, L., Tayler, C., Barwich, D., Baxter, S., & Heyland, D.K. (2015). What do Canadians think of advanced care planning? Findings from an online opinion poll. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care, 5(1), 40-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjspcare-2013-000473
- Lau, F., Barwich, D., Hilliard, N., Partridge, C., Hobson, B., Price, M., . . . Randhawa, G. (2015). A Knowledge Translation Project on Best Practices in End-of-life Care. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 20(8), 237-41. https://doi.org/10.3233/978-1-61499-488-6-237
- Chu, L., Hawley, P., Munk, P., Mallinson, P., & Clarkson, P. (2015). Minimally invasive palliative procedures in oncology: a review of a multidisciplinary collaboration. Supportive Care in Cancer, 23(6), 1589-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-014-2509-4
- Gallagher, R., & Baldwin, C. (2014). Palliative sedation. CMAJ, 186(3), 212.
- Gallagher, R., & Krawczyk, M. (2013). Family members’ perceptions of end-of-life care across diverse locations of care. BMC Palliative Care 2013 12:25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-684X-12-25
- Gallagher, R. (2013). Practical and strategic pain management in residential care. BC Medical Journal. 55(2), 85-89.
- Gallagher, R. (2013). The management of wound-related procedural pain (volitional incident pain) in advanced illness. Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care, 7(1), 80-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/SPC.0b013e32835ac704
- Passmore, M., Ho, A., & Gallagher, R. (2012). Behavioural and psychological symptoms in moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease: a palliative care approach emphasizing recognition of personhood and preservation of dignity. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 29(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-2012-111424
- Boston P., Bruce, A., & Schreiber, R. (2011). Existential Suffering in the Palliative Care Setting: An Integrated Literature Review. In Press. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 41(3), 604-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2010.05.010
- Hawley, P., Barwich, D., & Kirk, L. (2011). Implementation of the Victoria Bowel Performance Scale, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. In Press. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 42(6), 946-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2011.02.021
- Bruce, A., Schreiber, R., Petrovskaya, O., & Boston, P. (2011). Longing for Ground in a Groundless World: A Qualitative Inquiry of Existential Suffering. In Press. BMC Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6955-10-2
- Bruce, A., & Boston, P. (2011). Relieving Existential Suffering Through Palliative Sedation: An Uneasy Practice. In Press. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 67(12), 2732–40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05711.x
- Gallagher, R. (2011). Swallowing difficulties: a prognostic signpost. Canadian Family Physician, 57(12), 1407-9
- Gallagher, R., & Kimel, G. (2011). Palliative care for heart failure: more than is written. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 27(6), 871.
- Gallagher, R. (2011). Book Review: Cancer Pain: From Molecules to Suffering. Journal of Palliative Care, 272: 181
- Rahim-Jamal, S., Sarte, A., Kozak, J., Bodell, K., Barroetavena, C., Gallagher, R., & Leis A. (2011). Hospice Residents’ Interest in Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) at End of Life. Journal of Palliative Care, 27(2), 134-40.
- Gallagher, R. (2011). The use of opioids for dyspnea in advanced disease. CMAJ, 183(10), April 11 published online. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.110024
- Downing, M., Lynd, P.J., Gallagher, R., & Hoens, A. (2011). Challenges in Understanding Functional Decline, Prognosis, and Transitions in Advanced Illness. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 27(1), 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/TGR.0b013e3181ff6a89
- Hadjistavropoulos T., Janzen Claude J., Hadjistavropoulos H., Marchildon G., Kaasalainen S., Gallagher R., & Beattie B. (2011). Stakeholder Opinions on a Transformational Model of Pain Management in Long-term Care. Journal of Gerontol Nursing. 37(7), 40-51. doi: 10.3928/00989134-20100503-03
- Gallagher, R. (2011). A window into pain. CMAJ, 183(1), Jan 10 published online, E69 – E70. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.101708
- Pesut, B., Robinson, C., Bottorff, J., Fyles, G., & Broughton, S. (2010). On the road again: Patient perspectives on commuting for palliative care. Palliative and Supportive Care, 8(2), 187-195. doi:10.1017/S1478951509990940
- Gallagher, R. (2010). Management of painful wounds in advanced disease. Canadian Family Physician, 56(9), 883-85.
- Gallagher, R. (2010). Can you kill the symptom without killing the patient? Canadian Family Physician, 56(6), 544-46.
- Gallagher, R., & McElhaney, J. (2010). The resuscitation conversation. BC Medical Journal, 52(4), 218-9.
- Boston, P. Workshop. Quality of Life Issues in Palliative Care. Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India, February 17, 2010.
- Boston, P. Workshop. Palliative Care: Stress and Risk Factors for Complicated Grief: Healing for the Caregiver.
- XVII International Conference of the Indian Association of Palliative Care Tiruchirappalli, India February 12-14, 2010.
- Fyles G, Syme A, Black F, Brown S, Ennals D, Kirk P, Palat G, Uzaraga I. Partnering for Palliative Care: The British Columbia Cancer Agency (BCCA)/INCTR PAX/Indian Palliative Care Network Collaboration. Poster presented at the Indian Association for Palliative Care, Tiruchirappalli, Tamilnadu, India, February 12-14, 2010.
- Hawley, P. Workshop on Implementation of the Bowel Performance Scale. CHPCA Annual Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, October 30, 2010.
- Boston P, Bruce A., Schreiber R. Understanding Existential Suffering at End of Life: The Challeng for Palliative Care. 18th International Congress on Palliative Care, Montreal, Canada, October 5 – 8, 2010.