Research – Publications/Presentations and Posters.
- Boston P., Bruce A., Schreiber R. Existential Suffering in the Palliative Care Setting: An Integrated Literature Review. In Press. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Collins A., Leier B.Can medical assistance in dying harm rural and remote palliative care in Canada? In Press. Canadian Family Physician (2017); 63; 186-190.
- Hawley, P. Implementation of the Victoria Bowel Performance Scale, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. In Press. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Bruce A, Schreiber R, Petrovskaya O, Boston P. Longing for Ground in a Groundless World: A Qualitative Inquiry of Existential Suffering. In Press. BMC.
- Boston P. Relieving Existential Suffering Through Palliative Sedation: An Uneasy Practice. In Press. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
- Pesut B, Robinson C, Bottorff J, Fyles G, Broughton S: On the road again: Patient perspectives on commuting for palliative care. Palliative and Supportive Care (2010) 8(2).
- Gallagher R, Baldwin C. Palliative sedation. CMAJ 2014; 186(3); 212
- Gallagher R, Krawczyk M. Family members perceptions of end-of-life care across diverse locations of care. BMC Palliative Care 2013; 12: 25
- Gallagher R. Practical and strategic pain management in residential care. BC Medical Journal 2013; 55(2); 85-89
- Gallagher R. The Management of Wound-Related Procedural Pain in Advanced Illness. Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care 2013; 7(1): 80-85
- Passmore M, Ho A, Gallagher R. Behavioural and psychological symptoms in moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease: a palliative care approach emphasizing recognition of personhood and preservation of dignity. J of Alzheimer’s Disease 2012; 29(1): 1-13
- Gallagher R. Swallowing difficulties: a prognostic signpost. Canadian Family Physician 2011; 57(12): 1407-1409
- Gallagher R, Kimel G. Palliative care for heart failure: more than is written. Can. J. Cardiology 2011; 27(6): 871
- Gallagher R. Book Review: Cancer Pain: From Molecules to Suffering. Journal of Palliative Care 2011; 272: 181
- Rahim-Jamal S, Sarte A, Kozak J, Bodell K, Barroetavena C, Gallagher R, Leis A. Hospice Residents’ Interest in Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) at End-ofLife. Journal of Palliatve Care 2011; 272: 134-141
- Gallagher R. Five things to know about: The use of opioids for dyspnea in advanced disease. CMAJ 2011; April 11 published online
- Downing M, Lynd PJ, Gallagher R, Hoens A. Challenges in Understanding Functional Decline, Prognosis, and Transitions in Advanced Illness. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation. 2011;27(1):21-31.
- Hadjistavropoulos T, Janzen Claude JA, Hadjistavropoulos HD, Marchildon GP,Kaasalainen S, Gallagher R, Beattie BL. Stakeholder opinions on a transformational model of pain management in long-term care. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. (in press).
- Gallagher, R. A window into pain. Can. Med. Assoc. J., Jan 2011; 183: E69 – E70
- Gallagher R. Management of painful wounds in advanced disease. Canadian Family Physician 2010; 56: 883-85
- Gallagher R. Can you kill the symptom without killing the patient? YES Canadian Family Physician 2010; 56: 544-6
- Gallagher R, McElhaney J. The resuscitation conversation BCMJ 2010; 52(4): 218-19
- Boston, P. Workshop. Quality of Life Issues in Palliative Care. Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India, February 17, 2010.
- Boston, P. Workshop. Palliative Care: Stress and Risk Factors for Complicated Grief: Healing for the Caregiver.
- XVII International Conference of the Indian Association of Palliative Care Tiruchirappalli, India February 12-14, 2010.
- Fyles G, Syme A, Black F, Brown S, Ennals D, Kirk P, Palat G, Uzaraga I. Partnering for Palliative Care: The British Columbia Cancer Agency (BCCA)/INCTR PAX/Indian Palliative Care Network Collaboration. Poster presented at the Indian Association for Palliative Care, Tiruchirappalli, Tamilnadu, India, February 12-14, 2010.
- Hawley, P. Workshop on Implementation of the Bowel Performance Scale. CHPCA Annual Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, October 30, 2010.
- Boston P, Bruce A., Schreiber R. Understanding Existential Suffering at End of Life: The Challeng for Palliative Care. 18th International Congress on Palliative Care, Montreal, Canada, October 5 – 8, 2010.