Research – Publications, Presentations, and Posters.
- McKenzie, MR., Hawley P., Barwich D., Lim, HJ. (2018). In Response to “Medical Assistance in Dying in Canada”. Journal of Oncology Practice. 14(1):56-57. http://ascopubs.org/doi/10.1200/JOP.2017.028266
- Collins, A., & Leier, B. (2017). Can medical assistance in dying harm rural and remote palliative care in Canada? Canadian Family Physician, 63(3), 186–90.
- Collins, A. (2017). Newfoundland’s tuberculosis ship. Journal of Rural Medicine, 22(3): 120-121.
- Howard, M., Bansback, N., Tan, A., Klein, D., Bernard, C., Barwich, D., Dodek, P., Nijjar, A., Heyland, DK. (2017). Recognizing difficult trade-offs: values and treatment preferences for end-of-life care in a multi-site survey of adult patients in family practices. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 17(1):164. https://bmcmedinformdecismak.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12911-017-0570-x
- Perri, G.-A., Bunn, S., Oh, Y.J., Kassam, A., Berall, A., Karuza, J., & Khosravani, H. (2016). Attributes and outcomes of end stage liver disease as compared with other noncancer patients admitted to a geriatric palliative care unit. Annals of Palliative Medicine, 5(2), 76-82.
- Pearce, J., & Ridley, J. (2016). Communication in life-limiting illness: A practical guide for physicians. British Columbia Medical Journal, 58(5), 262-7.
- Holroyd-Leduc, J., Resin, J., Ashley, L., Barwich, D., Elliott, J.,……, Muscedere, J. (2016). Giving voice to older adults living with frailty and their family caregivers: engagement of older adults living with frailty in research, health care decision making, and in health policy. Research Involvement and Engagement.2:23. https://researchinvolvement.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40900-016-0038-7
- Peixoto, R.D., & Hawley, P. (2015). Intravenous lidocaine for cancer pain without electrocardiographic monitoring: A retrospective review. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 18(4), 373-7. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2014.0279
- Sinuff, T., Dodek, P., You, J.J., Barwich, D., Tayler, C., Downar, J., Hartwick, . . . Heyland, D.K. (2015). Improving end-of-life communication and decision making: The development of a conceptual framework and quality indicators. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 49(6), 1070-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2014.12.007
- Teixeira, A.A., Hanvey, L., Tayler, C., Barwich, D., Baxter, S., & Heyland, D.K. (2015). What do Canadians think of advanced care planning? Findings from an online opinion poll. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care, 5(1), 40-7. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjspcare-2013-000473
- Lau, F., Barwich, D., Hilliard, N., Partridge, C., Hobson, B., Price, M., . . . Randhawa, G. (2015). A Knowledge Translation Project on Best Practices in End-of-life Care. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 20(8), 237-41. https://doi.org/10.3233/978-1-61499-488-6-237
- Chu, L., Hawley, P., Munk, P., Mallinson, P., & Clarkson, P. (2015). Minimally invasive palliative procedures in oncology: a review of a multidisciplinary collaboration. Supportive Care in Cancer, 23(6), 1589-96. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-014-2509-4
- Hilliard, N., Brown, S., Mitchinson, S. (2015). A case report of dexmedetomidine used to treat intractable pain and delirium in a tertiary palliative care unit. Palliative Medicine, 29(3):278-81. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&D=med8&AN=25467740
- Chan, E., Sawtasky, R,, Gadermann, A., Cohen, S., Knowledge Synthesis Team, PROMs and PREMS for Elderly Patients in Acute Care and Their Families: An EMPRO Evaluation, abstract 574, ISOQOL 2015.Sawatzky, R., Chan, E.K.H., Bryan, S., Cohen, R., Cuthbertson, L., Dixon, D., Lett, J., Gadermann, A., Hilliard, N., McGregor, M., Roberts, D., Schick- Makaroff, K., Stajduhar, K., & Tayler, C. (2015). Patient- and family-reported experience and outcome measures for use in acute care: A knowledge synthesis. Canadian Frailty Network. http://www.cfn-nce.ca/improving-evidence-through-research-and-kt/funded-research/ks2013-09-sawatzky/
- Laforest E., Sawatzky R., Schick-Makaroff K., Stajduhar K., Krawczyk M., Wang S., Hilliard N., Neufeld C., Lett J., Tayler C., Voth J., Cohen S.R. (2016). Desirable features of a quality of life assessment and practice support system (QPSS) in palliative acute and home care. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Conference: 21st International Congress on Palliative Care. 52 (6) (pp e99). http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&D=emexa&AN=613776328
- Krawczyk M., Schick-Makaroff K., Cohen S.R., Stajduhar K., Laforest E., Wang S., Hilliard N., Neufeld C., Lett J., Tayler C., Voth J., Sawatzky R. (2016). Experiences of integrating electronic assessments within tertiary palliative care: Use of the quality of life assessment and practice support system (QPSS). Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Conference: 21st International Congress on Palliative Care. Canada. 52 (6) (pp e5-e6). http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&D=emexa&AN=613776156
- Gallagher, R., & Baldwin, C. (2014). Palliative sedation. CMAJ, 186(3), 212.
- Simon, J., Wasylenko, E., Barwich, D. (2014). Beyond resuscitate and do-not-resuscitate. CMAJ. 186(18):1398. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/186/18/1398.1.short?rss=1
- Gallagher, R., & Krawczyk, M. (2013). Family members’ perceptions of end-of-life care across diverse locations of care. BMC Palliative Care 2013 12:25. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-684X-12-25
- Gallagher, R. (2013). Practical and strategic pain management in residential care. BC Medical Journal. 55(2), 85-89.
- Gallagher, R. (2013). The management of wound-related procedural pain (volitional incident pain) in advanced illness. Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care, 7(1), 80-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/SPC.0b013e32835ac704
- Heyland, DK., Barwich, D., Pichora, D., Dodek, P., Lamontagne, F., You, JJ., Tayler, C., Porterfield, P., Sinuff, T., Simon, J., ACCEPT (Advance Care Planning Evaluation in Elderly Patients) Study Team; Canadian Researchers at the End of Life Network (CARENET). (2013). Failure to engage hospitalized elderly patients and their families in advance care planning. JAMA Internal Medicine. 173(9):778-87. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1673746
- Passmore, M., Ho, A., & Gallagher, R. (2012). Behavioural and psychological symptoms in moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease: a palliative care approach emphasizing recognition of personhood and preservation of dignity. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 29(1), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-2012-111424
- Barwich, D. (2012). When and how to die. CMAJ. 184(16):1814-5. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/184/16/1814.3
- Boston P., Bruce, A., & Schreiber, R. (2011). Existential Suffering in the Palliative Care Setting: An Integrated Literature Review. In Press. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 41(3), 604-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2010.05.010
- Hawley, P., Barwich, D., & Kirk, L. (2011). Implementation of the Victoria Bowel Performance Scale, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. In Press. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 42(6), 946-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2011.02.021
- Bruce, A., Schreiber, R., Petrovskaya, O., & Boston, P. (2011). Longing for Ground in a Groundless World: A Qualitative Inquiry of Existential Suffering. In Press. BMC Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6955-10-2
- Bruce, A., & Boston, P. (2011). Relieving Existential Suffering Through Palliative Sedation: An Uneasy Practice. In Press. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 67(12), 2732–40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05711.x
- Gallagher, R. (2011). Swallowing difficulties: a prognostic signpost. Canadian Family Physician, 57(12), 1407-9
- Gallagher, R., & Kimel, G. (2011). Palliative care for heart failure: more than is written. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 27(6), 871.
- Gallagher, R. (2011). Book Review: Cancer Pain: From Molecules to Suffering. Journal of Palliative Care, 272: 181
- Rahim-Jamal, S., Sarte, A., Kozak, J., Bodell, K., Barroetavena, C., Gallagher, R., & Leis A. (2011). Hospice Residents’ Interest in Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) at End of Life. Journal of Palliative Care, 27(2), 134-40.
- Gallagher, R. (2011). The use of opioids for dyspnea in advanced disease. CMAJ, 183(10), April 11 published online. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.110024
- Downing, M., Lynd, P.J., Gallagher, R., & Hoens, A. (2011). Challenges in Understanding Functional Decline, Prognosis, and Transitions in Advanced Illness. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 27(1), 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/TGR.0b013e3181ff6a89
- Hadjistavropoulos T., Janzen Claude J., Hadjistavropoulos H., Marchildon G., Kaasalainen S., Gallagher R., & Beattie B. (2011). Stakeholder Opinions on a Transformational Model of Pain Management in Long-term Care. Journal of Gerontol Nursing. 37(7), 40-51. doi: 10.3928/00989134-20100503-03
- Gallagher, R. (2011). A window into pain. CMAJ, 183(1), Jan 10 published online, E69 – E70. https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.101708
- Pesut, B., Robinson, C., Bottorff, J., Fyles, G., & Broughton, S. (2010). On the road again: Patient perspectives on commuting for palliative care. Palliative and Supportive Care, 8(2), 187-195. doi:10.1017/S1478951509990940
- Gallagher, R. (2010). Management of painful wounds in advanced disease. Canadian Family Physician, 56(9), 883-85.
- Gallagher, R. (2010). Can you kill the symptom without killing the patient? Canadian Family Physician, 56(6), 544-46.
- Gallagher, R., & McElhaney, J. (2010). The resuscitation conversation. BC Medical Journal, 52(4), 218-9.
- Webley, J., Brown, S., Kennedy, J., Jones, C., Yue, K., Barwich, D. Panel Presentation. Person centered care through integrating a palliative approach: Lessons from initiatives around BC. BC Care Providers Association, Whistler, Canada, May 28, 2017.
- Barwich, D. Carter, R., Hoffmann, C., Porterfield, P., Hedges, P. Workshop. Translating Individual Values into Excellence in Advance Care Planning. BCPSQC Quality Forum 2017, Vancouver, Canada, March 1, 2017
- Barwich, D. Presentation. A Whole Systems and Societal Approach to Pursue Excellence in Palliative Care in BC. 21st International Congress on Palliative Care, Montreal, Canada, October 18, 2016.
- Boston, P. Workshop. Quality of Life Issues in Palliative Care. Trivandrum Institute of Palliative Sciences, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India, February 17, 2010.
- Boston, P. Workshop. Palliative Care: Stress and Risk Factors for Complicated Grief: Healing for the Caregiver. XVII International Conference of the Indian Association of Palliative Care Tiruchirappalli, India February 12-14, 2010.
- Fyles G, Syme A, Black F, Brown S, Ennals D, Kirk P, Palat G, Uzaraga I. Partnering for Palliative Care: The British Columbia Cancer Agency (BCCA)/INCTR PAX/Indian Palliative Care Network Collaboration. Poster presented at the Indian Association for Palliative Care, Tiruchirappalli, Tamilnadu, India, February 12-14, 2010.
- Hawley, P. Workshop on Implementation of the Bowel Performance Scale. CHPCA Annual Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, October 30, 2010.
- Barwich, D. It’s Remarkable! Lessons Learned in Enabling Excellence in Advance Care Planning Across British Columbia. 21st International Congress on Palliative Care, Montreal, Canada, October 18, 2016
- Boston P, Bruce A., Schreiber R. Understanding Existential Suffering at End of Life: The Challeng for Palliative Care. 18th International Congress on Palliative Care, Montreal, Canada, October 5 – 8, 2010.